Original construction of the Coliseum building began in 1922. At that time, the primary facility purpose was the exhibition of agricultural products and livestock. As construction phases continued, the Coliseum was the largest structure of its kind in North America. During World War II (1942-1946), the Coliseum was closed to the public as the CNE grounds were being used as a military camp known as #1 Manning Depot. In the 1960s and 1970s, acts including The Doors, The Who, Genesis and Jimmy Hendrix all played at the Coliseum. In 2003, the Coliseum underwent a $38 million renovation project with major additions being added to the outdoor portion of the facility (connecting it to the Enercare Centre). Along with a new roof structure, many modern amenities were added to the arena and surrounding concourse area. Known as Ricoh Coliseum, the building houses numerous shows and concerts throughout the year, including parts of the Canadian National Exhibition, Royal Agricultural Winter Fair and the Toronto Boat Show. Since 2005, Ricoh Coliseum has been the home of the Toronto Marlies, American Hockey League affiliate of the Toronto Maple Leafs, hosting over 40 AHL hockey games each year.
Posted in: H